The holiday season is a great time to dig out all those print photos and slides you have hidden away in albums and boxes, and use them to create that extra-special personalized gift for family members and friends.
The first step is to convert your print photos and slides into digital images. If you have less than fifty (50) photos, then you can either convert these yourself using an in-house scanner or use the scanning services provided at many photo labs. If, like most people, you have hundreds or thousands of photos and slides, then you should use a professional scanning company like Aberscan. It’s a much better use of your time, and you’ll be much happier with the quality of the results.
The second step is to search the internet for companies that can make the personalized photo gift you want. Kodak, Snapfish, Picaboo, and Shutterfly are a few of the more popular sites out there, but there are hundreds of others to choose from.
The third step is to give the present to your loved one and watch the smile on his/her face when they open it!
Photo Gift Ideas
To get those creative juices going, I’ve listed a few ideas below:
- Photo books: Photo books can be a real keepsake. You select which photos you want on each page and add captions as needed. You can then get creative with layouts and styling. The final offering is a professionally printed and bound book that will last for years.
- Digital photo album: For the person who likes to view their photos on-line there are many options for creating an on-line photo album. The concept is similar to the printed photo book, but you can add music, animation, and usually have more flexibility in the editing effects on images.
- Games for the kids: Make a set of trading cards using photo of team players. Create cards for the “memory game” using family or vacation photos. Create a pack of playing cards with customized photos on the back. Create jigsaw puzzles using a photo or a collage of photos created by you.
- Photo Stamps: For those family members that still like to write letters, create a sheet of stamps with your family photo on them.
- Digital photo frames: Purchase a digital photo frame, and pre-load it with a set of photos that is special to the person receiving the gift.
- Photo calendars: Create twelve special memories, then make a calendar – one memory for each month.
- DVD slideshows – If there is an event coming up where all the family is together in one house, it’s a great time to compile a family slideshow that everyone can enjoy on the TV. Then make copies for each person to take home.
- Keepsake Family Trees – Capture and share family history, especially from all those photos and slides hidden away in your parent’s or older relative’s homes. Capture the memories before the history is lost forever, and send a copies to siblings.
- Merchandise: Any number of items can now be manufactured with personalized images on them: Cups, T-shirts, Tote bags, Coasters, and Plates are only a few of the possibilities.
- Scrapbooking. If you know someone who loves scrapbooking, then make re-prints from your scanned images and let them scrapbook to their hearts content!
As you can see, the options are limitless. Give your loved one a one-of-a-kind personalized photo gift! It all starts with getting your photos and slides out of the closet and scanned into digital images